Friday, November 1, 2013

Online Assignment #2_Salileng

The primary VALS type that I received is Innovator. Innovators are described as “successful, sophisticated, take-charge people with high self-esteem.” Considering my stature as a University of Wisconsin-Madison student and a recent admit to the Wisconsin School of Business I would consider myself successful and my leadership roles within the clubs I am involved in such as Sports Business Club, I can be seen as taking charge. I enjoy new ideas and doing and purchasing new things, and I always like being ahead of the curve. Whenever an upgrade in the iPhone is released, I’m always one of the first to buy it. I do enjoy the finer things in life, but I wouldn’t consider myself stuck up and I’m a pretty down to earth individual. I’m not always out to buy the most expensive things to please myself.  

My secondary type is Experiencer and it fits perfectly with Innovator. Experiencers are enthusiastic and enjoy new possibilities and this correlates with my enjoyment of new ideas as an Innovator. Experiencers are said to “seek variety and excitement, savoring the new, the offbeat, and the risky. Their energy finds an outlet in exercise, sports, outdoor recreation, and social activities.” This describes me perfectly. I do enjoy adrenaline pumping activities, and while sometimes these decisions aren’t the best decisions, I always love the thrill of things. Whether it is rock climbing, skydiving or bungee jumping, I am always searching for excitement through activities such as those. I have always participated in sports and have always been a fan of social gatherings and parties. I would also agree with the commitment of Experiencers trying to look good and purchase the “cool” things.  Even if it isn’t every day, as much as I hate to admit it, I am a victim of trying to look my best. When new products from Nike are released, I am always considering purchasing them.


Overall, I would agree with the VALS assessment of myself. It makes me wonder how unique everyone actually is if a standardized personality test could match traits so easily. This reflects how in-depth marketing and advertising has become over the years, and wonders how much further could marketers tie products to your everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment