Friday, November 1, 2013

Online Assignment2_Reubish

My results from the VALS survey displayed some pretty interesting characteristics about myself, as a consumer. I was labeled as an 'experiencer' and, secondly, ‘achiever’. When looking into the description of each type of consumer, it was fairly obvious that my results hit the nail on the head. My consumer habits were very clearly portrayed in the descriptions listed by VALS.
                While reading the experiencer summary, the first thing that stuck out to me was that they are impulsive buyers. I have to admit, that I am very impulsive when it comes to shopping and if something looks cool, I’m more likely to buy it. The practicality of some things is lost on me. I do like to try new things and do spend too much of my income on fashion, entertainment and socializing. This description pretty much hit the nail on the head.
                My second label was as an achiever. I think that this is an interesting combination of types. The characteristics within the achiever branch that really fit me were things like the focus on friends and family and favoring established products. There were something’s that seem to contradict my experiencer label.  VALS describes an achiever by saying, “they value consensus, predictability, and stability over risk” and in the experiencer it said that one would jump on risk and new opportunities. I can see how this contradiction could pose a problem for advertisers to try to reach out and appeal to each of these types of people.

                This was an interesting assignment and really beneficial because it gave an insight of what advertisers really looks at and how they try to market to certain individuals. They have quite the task to try and reach the biggest audience. I think the VALS survey gives them solid criteria of how to categorize people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment